Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Be the Difference

This week went by too quickly!-- I can't believe I am finished with my time here in Kenya. 
On Monday, we had a party with Vincent and had to say goodbye. It was hard-- but I'm positive that I will see him again either here on earth or in heaven! Each of us girls were able to leave him with a picture of us, so hopefully it will remind him that he is loved, and that we are always praying for him.
I was also able to tell Gillian that I am her new sponsor! I gave her little gifts, lots of candy, and a bracelet to remind her that I am loving her and praying for her. I think she was in shock that I was her sponsor, but she seemed overjoyed. She still calls me "teacher Kristen", but I can tell that she feels special, which I'm incredibly happy about! 
Tuesday was Becca's last day in Kenya, so we spent the day at her farewell in Korogocho, a community in the slums that she worked at. It was so incredible seeing her impact and how her leaving affected the kids at the school. I feel so blessed to have been put on such an incredible team with such beautiful spirited people. I will never forget Becca and her impact on Korogocho, nor any of the other interns. I honestly believe that I have made forever friends, and although I will be far away from many of them in America, I know God has amazing plans for each of them and I will continue to pray for them to pursue His path.
On Wednesday and Thursday I helped out the team in Kiamaiko. They put on a VBS and brought the light in the afternoon. Although, once again, I was the intern so I had to stay back and watch them interact with the Kenyans, it was cool being able to witness their heart for the Kiamaiko community and for the homes they visited. There was one woman whose house they brought light to who was incredibly drunk-- she was almost incoherent, but they reached out to her and were not afraid to tell her that she didn't need alcohol, but needed the Lord to live a content life. It was awesome seeing their love and persistence in helping her, and although she wasn't able to turn her life over right then, because of her mental state, I have hope that she will one day very soon! 
Thursday a few of us interns helped the Kenyans cook for the team's farewell. In Kenya, it is rude to let guests help cook, they are supposed to be served, but they gave us "aprons" and put us right to work. I love that we were in Kenya long enough to no longer be seen as guests, but as nationals who can help prepare the meal. Although it took hours to prepare, we had fun and were able to spend one of our last days in Kenya connecting with those we cooked alongside.
Sadly, Friday came along fast, which was our last day in the slums. We didn't have much time in our communities, because of our farewell being at Pangani, but I had enough time to visit Gillian's home! Her family only consists of her mom and her, and they live with an elderly woman who accepted them into her home. Her father left, and her baby sister died three years ago. The house wasn't big, it only had one bed, a couch, a table, and a few items for cooking, but Gillian and her mom seemed happy. I feel so lucky to now be apart of her life and that they accepted me so willingly. 
The farewell was emotional for many of the interns. Some of the social workers we worked alongside spoke on how blessed they were to have us and asked us to come back again soon. I am going to miss them all so much and wish more then anything that it was easier to visit them! Although they spoke about our impact on them, they have truly changed me and helped me grow into a more loving and patient person. Each of their hearts for their own community in the slums and the people who live in it is impeccable, and I hope to one day have that same passion.
We ended our time in Kenya going on a safari in Maasai Mara. It felt good to get away from the city and reflect on the things I've seen and learned. We traveled in a safari van to Tanzania and saw giraffes, zebras, lions, hippos, crocodiles, water buffalo, elephants, leopards, and other African animals all roaming in their natural habitat-- we even saw a few eat one another. God's creation is so incredible and I'm glad I was able to witness the more rural part of Kenya.
This summer I have learned so much-- it's hard to put into words everything that I will walk away with. There were times when I felt like I wasn't needed, and insecure of the way I was serving. I didn't feel like I was doing as well as the other interns and that someone else could have done better in my place. During this hard times of doubt, God really showed me His strength and His love. Through people in Madoya thanking me for being there or asking me for prayer, I was randomly reminded that if I keep on believing and pursuing an attitude and action that reflects Christ's, He can make a difference through me. In reality, I am not qualified for the job, but it is through Him that I can be a light to others. 
 God has opened my eyes to the future He may have planned for me in missions. Many of my team members have a heart that is specifically called to Kenya and know they will be back to continue their relationships. I, on the other hand, feel open to anywhere God may place me around the world. A blessing this summer has been my ability to feel comfortable in a new culture and surrounding, and how quickly I felt at home and ready to talk to strangers. I hope to use that in the future to travel all over and spread God's love and word. I would love to use my teaching credential to reach children, but, after working alongside the social workers at Madoya, I am now open minded to wherever I may be placed. I am not afraid of the dangers that are involved in missions, I am excited to pursue a life centered around Christ and use the gifts God has given me to travel to far places and to witness to those in the United States as well! 
Once again, I hope everyone who supported me knows how incredibly thankful I am for them and their importance in my life. Without you, I would never have went to Kenya and met the wonderful people that I have. I am also so grateful for your prayer throughout this summer, it definitely has made a difference on my time here. I can't imagine seeing what I have or making the impact that I did without the Lord by my side. It was hard at times and would feel like too much, but simply placing my worries on Christ made all the difference. 
My advice to you: the world needs your talents and your love. You don't need to travel all the way to Kenya to use it, but you can make the same impact at your jobs in America, if you choose to. God is the reason that we have life-- why not surrender everything to Him and spend your time on earth truly living? 
I've seen the difference that one person can make, when their heart is given to God. I encourage you to be that difference in the world-- you are needed to further the kingdom of heaven. Imagine how incredible it will be to be with The Lord one day celebrating the life you spent alongside Him and being with those who your love and light impacted! Words can't say enough that you are needed in this world, and I hope we all never forget that!
A verse that has been on my heart this summer-- and I hope will also be in yours:
Colossians 3:12-17 "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."


No comments:

Post a Comment